Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Song of the Day: Thursday, December 3

"Here We Come a-Caroling" by the New Christy Minstrels

(download to listen: http://www.mediafire.com/?miky3w3lnlq)

My Mom's Christmas albums were always a source of joy when I was growing up, and this song has more than its fair share of memories. (It also has more than its fair share of pops, crackles, surface noise, etc. This is what happens when one gets infatuated with spinning records at a very early age!) Probably the happiest memory involves my daughter Amanda. In 1992, when she was five years old and her mother and I were engaged, we were driving somewhere and listening to Christmas music and this song was on the tape we were listening to. She liked it enough to want to hear it again, and we taught ourselves to sing it while we were driving. The "aaaahhhhhhh" in the middle..... every time I hear that, I hear Amanda singing that!

When I bought a record player (after having been without one for about six years or so), and then when I got it hooked up to my computer, Mom's Christmas records were the first thing I saved to CD (well, that and my Styx records!). Before then, I'd been relying on an old cassette tape of the records which was stretched beyond capacity. You can imagine the joy I felt when these records came caroling outta the car speakers, scratchy sound & all! Plus, this song is a lot of fun to sing along with. Just pick a part, any part!

Enjoy!

No comments: