Monday, January 26, 2009

A few minutes

I hope that heaven allows for viewing of one's own funeral, if for no other reason than the reward of seeing how many lives were touched by the deceased.

Case in point: Deb Koplen. Tonight was her viewing at this little funeral home in downtown Grand Prairie. Not knowing Deb all that well, all I knew was that she had no family. I went to pay my respects and to say hi to Gaylene, whose family has been Deb's friends for many years. I'm happy to report that Deb had a HUGE family. Not blood-related in an earthly sense, but definitely bonded by the blood of Christ. The parking lot was jam-packed, and people were packed into the funeral home like sardines. Inside the viewing room was a plaque presented by the city of Grand Prairie, for Deb's efforts in getting that city a dog park (called "Central Bark." Gaylene tells me that the city wanted to present it to Deb in person, but unfortunately time ran out). Deb loved dogs, which was evident by the little stuffed dog placed in the casket with her. It was very touching.

All of this is meant to complete what seemed like an incomplete obituary in today's Ft. Worth paper. A little blurb saying when she died, when the viewing was and when the funeral was scheduled. That's it. You'd never know, from that obituary, how many lives Deb touched in her lifetime. Who knows how many lives she touched for only a brief few minutes, but that the memory of those few minutes would be carried for the rest of someone else's life? That communion experience was one that I'll take to my own grave.

Those few minutes, and the significance of those few minutes, ran through my mind as I paid my respects. Thinking about others with whom I've spent moments with that touched me and will stay with me for the rest of my life; thinking about relationships and how some of those relationships started because of a few minutes of talk, sharing, listening. Thanking God for those few minutes with Deb back in October, and praying that there will be other moments with unknown people, and hoping that if I'm ever in the giving position of those few minutes, that I use them wisely.

In Him and around the corner (and watching out for Deb; those ornery souls have a way of keeping you honest),

Al

No comments: