From Edwin Plass' What Luther Says, regarding the Holy Spirit as mentioned in John 14:23-31:
(The Holy Spirit is) the counsel of a man who has been accused, to a person who espouses his cause, who defends him, straightens his affairs, and serves him with counsel and aid, admonition and encouragement, when he is in need of them. This (says Christ) is to be the work of the Holy Spirit after I leave you and you will have no comfort and no assistance in the world. All the world will be against you; and the devil will be at your heels and with his venomous, blasphemous tongue will say the worst about you and will accuse you and decry you before all the world as cheats and rebels. Besides, your own conscience and heart will plague and frighten you with the fear of God's wrath, with sadness and heavy thoughts of your own weakness, so that you well may and must despair if you were to be left without comfort and strength in this predicament. (emphasis mine)
I don't know about y'all, but I sure am grateful and thankful that I don't see even a tenth of the stuff from which the Holy Spirit protects me and hides me.
In Him and around the corner (and realizing that blissful ignorance is not always a bad thing),
Al
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment