The conversation between me and my daughter centers around her distaste for church of any kind. It hurts at first, but then it finally occurs to me: she's been at the same church her entire life. All she knows is you get up Sunday morning and you go to church. She's also had some people who she thought were friends (and "Christian" ones at that) pass harsh judgement on decisions she's made. So, as far as she's concerned, church is just a building full of hypocrites who put on a good face for about an hour and then go back to being jerks the other six-plus days of the week.
Sadly, I've completely forgotten what that feeling is like because my family changed churches when I was 16. By then, I was sick of my church. The friends that I'd known since we were little kids had turned on me and decided I wasn't cool enough for them, to the point where they were starting to talk down to me. I say this not because it was the reason (or any reason) why we left that church; instead, it's only to say that had we NOT changed churches, I'm 100% certain I'd be in the same situation as my daughter. In fact, when I was her age, I had a lot of anger towards a lot of people and things at church as well.
(Please understand that my daughter is very much a Christian. She has a faith that I only dream about. I have to remind myself that even King David--the man after God's own heart--had his moments of doubt, anger, and frustration at His people)
As cynical as I am about things (and it's all a front, by the way; I only appear cynical because my biggest fear in life is that folks will find out what a gullible naif I really am, and the bitter irony is that I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't realize y'all already knew that!), I have to accept a lot of blame for not showing my daughter that church is God's house. In other words, no matter what the BS that goes on inside there, it's still God's house and God is love. Ergo, if you look for it, you will find love in God's house. I don't believe I ever taught her how to look for that kind of love inside the house of God.
Thing is, I need a place to worship God and I need to be around others to do so. I know there are people in the world who claim they don't need that; more power to 'em. (Quick show of hands: how many of you feel like Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" is speaking personally to you? Yeah, I know; me too) For those of you who think you don't need church, have you considered the possibility that the church might need you? That's not egotistical or selfish to believe, despite what others might say. Yes, I know God can fulfill His plan whether you or I am at church or not; but it sure makes me feel better knowing I'm helping Him out.
Look, I know churches can be a source of bad memories of awful times. I also know that people can be absolute garbage, even inside God's house. Heck, I witnessed it myself at church this morning, some of the most un-Christian behavior I'd ever seen. But if I let that drive me away from God's house, then the devil wins, the bad guys win, the forces of evil win. Today, anyway.
Lord, help me to show others that Your house is a house of love, and that no matter how hard we try to make it into something other than that, Your love will always prevail.
In Him and around the corner (and hoping others are feeling the love),
Al
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good topic! I think that a relationship with a church should almost be seen as a relationship with another person (an extremely multifaceted person at that!) There are some personality traits that are really going to get you down - and there are some that will really attract you.
To expect a church not to have flaws is like to expect that anyone you meet on the street to be free of flaws. It just isn't possible, or in any way, realistic.
I think this is one reason that people search for a church. Because often, not only are they searching for a good Theological fit, but they are searching for the chemistry that allows them to really engage, as well.
To deny that a church should have members that are hypocritical is to say that you, yourself show no signs of hypocrisy, yourself. (I always liked the joke about the guy who told a preacher that he wouldn't join their church because of all of the hypocrites in the church. The pastor responds, "Why not? We've got room for one more..." Awww... SNAP! (Emphasis mine.)
The church is the bride of Christ. To hate the church and love Christ is much like really liking someone's husband, but hating the wife. Eventually, you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that they are married and you can't just go fishing with the husband and leave the wife at home all of the time and really have a deep relationship with the husband because the wife is a part of the husband. To know, love and accept the wife is part of the deal.
Just my 2 cents.
BTW, forgive my lack of editing, run-on sentences, etc... :)
Keep on running, my man! Keep on running! I figure I set the tone and the bar for run-ons with the original post, so who am I to judge? ;-)
Post a Comment